Weekend in Ann Arbor
Thanks for taking part in the Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring Society’s “One Helluva Ride”! If you are from outside the local area and are considering staying over an evening or two, we hope this information will make your stay more enjoyable. For additional information about the area contact the Chelsea Area Chamber of Commerce (734-475-1145) or the Ann Arbor Convention and Visitors Bureau (734-995-7281), or visit the Bureau’s website
. The Ann Arbor Observer’s website
is another good source.
There are many lodging choices in the OHR ride area with the following suggestions being the closest, or most convenient, to Chelsea, the ride start area.
- Chelsea House Victorian Inn—118 E Middle Street, Chelsea (877-618-4935) Map
- Chelsea Comfort Inn—1645 Commerce Park Drive, Chelsea (734-433-8000) Map
- Holiday Inn Express—1540 Commerce Park Drive, Chelsea (734-433-1600) Map
The following hotels are located in the immediate vicinity of the I-94 State Street exit, just south of downtown Ann Arbor and 25 minutes from the OHR starting point in Chelsea. These locations are also in the immediate vicinity of Briarwood Mall.
- Courtyard by Marriott—3205 Boardwalk, Ann Arbor (734-995-5900 or 800-321-2211) Map
- Fairfield Inn—3285 Boardwalk, Ann Arbor (734-995-5200) Map
- Holiday Inn Express— 600 Briarwood Circle, Ann Arbor (734-761-2929) Map
- Motel 6—3764 S. State Street, Ann Arbor (734-665-9900) Map
- Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel—3200 Boardwalk, Ann Arbor (734-996-0600) Map
The following hotels are located off the Jackson Road exit of I-94, just southwest of downtown Ann Arbor. Plan for a 20–25 minute drive to the Chelsea OHR starting point.
- Clarion Hotel and Conference Center—2900 Jackson Rd. (734-665-4444) Map
- Weber’s Inn—3050 Jackson Road, Ann Arbor (734-769-2500) Map
Other hotels in the Ann Arbor area include the Day’s Inn, Hampton Inn, Red Roof, Microtel and Hilton chains as well as independent lodging establishments and bed and breakfasts. Information on these establishments can be obtained through the Ann Arbor Visitors and Convention Bureau or by calling the chain hotel national reservations numbers, which can be obtained through the toll free number information operator (800-555-1212).
Waterloo State Recreation Area
is located just to the north of Chelsea and has both campgrounds (one located at the Portage Lake area where the OHR lunch stop is) and cabins for rent. Call 1-800-44-PARKS for more information.
Private campgrounds include the Hell Creek Ranch
(near Hell, Michigan of course), 10866 Cedar Lake Road (734-878-3632) and PJ Family Campground
, 5250 Williamston Road, Stockbridge (517-565-3044).
—One of the nation’s premier folk music concert locations. Administrative Offices: 1955 Pauline Blvd., Ann Arbor (734-761-1800) Program Hotline: (734-761-1818)
Exhibit Museum of Natural History
—1109 Geddes Road, Ann Arbor (734-764-0478). Located on the central campus of the University of Michigan.
—Interactive, educational fun exhibits for kids of all ages. 220 East Ann Street, Ann Arbor (734-995-5439)
—Films and live concerts in a spectacular old theater. 603 East Liberty, Ann Arbor (734-668-8397)
The Purple Rose Theater
—Original and classic live theater often written by Chelsea's own Jeff Daniels. 137 Park Street, Chelsea (734-433-7673)
There is something for everyone’s taste in the OHR area. A number of fast-food restaurants can be found in the vicinity of the Chelsea I-94 exit area, with downtown Chelsea having the following additional restaurants: Cleary's Pub
, the Common Grill
, Mike’s Deli
and Zou Zou’s
In Ann Arbor, the most diverse number of dining locations tend to be assembled around the downtown Main Street/Washington Street area.
Both Chelsea and Dexter offer small-town type shopping with robust downtown areas. In Ann Arbor, Briarwood Mall is located just off the State Street exit of I-94. Downtown Ann Arbor has numerous shops clustered in the Main, Liberty and State Street areas. Shopping centers are also located either side of the I-94/Ann Arbor-Saline Road exit.
There are numerous bike shops in the Ann Arbor area for those last minute needs.
- Aberdeen Bike & Outdoors, 1101 S. Main, Chelsea (734-475-8203)
- Dexter Bike & Sport, 3173 Baker Road, Dexter (734-426-5900)
- Fraser Bicycle, 3162 Packard Rd, Ann Arbor (734-389-7900)
- Great Lakes Cycling & Fitness, 2270 W. Stadium, Ann Arbor (734-668-6484)
- Midwest Bike & Tandem, 1691 Plymouth Rd (North Campus Plaza), Ann Arbor (734-213-7744)
- Wheels in Motion Cycle and Fitness, 3400 Washtenaw, Ann Arbor (734-971-2121)