Ride Decorum & Rules
Every year, the communities of Chelsea, Dexter, Pickney, Gregory, Stockbridge, Waterloo, and Grass Lake have over 1500 riders sharing their country roads the second Saturday in July. In many cases, the roads are narrow with little or no shoulder. With that in mind, riders need to be aware of the cars and traffic on the roads in both directions to ensure safety and to be respectful guests in these local communities.
The mark of a safe and effective cyclist is to show respect for and awareness of the surroundings, including weather, road conditions, and others using the road. We request all OHR riders to follow these basic guidelines:
- Wear an approved and properly-fitted helmet.
- Obey all traffic laws and stop at all stop signs
- Ride no more than two abreast
- Ride as far to the right of the road as safe to do so
- Move right and ride single-file when cars are behind you and need room to pass
- Use appropriate hand and verbal signals when turning or stopping
- Alert slower riders when you are passing on the left and do not pass on the right
- Observe whether an intersection is clear before crossing
- Do not wear headphones while riding